Friday, August 28, 2015

Artist Block Sucks!

Welcome back folks. As you can see from the title of this here "rant", I'm slightly off in my game.
How many of you have had sever cases of A.B? (Artist Block) I know I can't be the only one. The purpose of this blog post is to reach out to other artists, interact, and get some helpful feedback. First thing's first, let's break down the current situation at hand shall we?!

A few days ago, I began participating in a 30 Day Art Challenge. My first couple of days went well. I had an original concept in mind. I knew exactly how I wanted my final image to turn out. Color schemes and everything. First entry was a total success. Check it out below:


The Elk Eldress (final) by Karii-la-maravilla

This is "The Elk Eldress." She's made up of  pencil,colored pencils, and ink on regular printer paper. Nothing too fancy or spectacular. Just small drawings for the daily challenges. This is where we run into the A.B problem... After completing her, and seeing how well she turned out, I had the "brilliant" idea of sticking to this exact style and theme. BIG MISTAKE. My goal was to make my drawings from the 30 Day Art Challenge into a small coloring book or a storybook for my daughter. An original just for her. However, I think developing a good story with solid characters is what threw me off.

Okay so obviously from looking at the first character, I wanted this to be woodland inspired fairy-tale of sorts. Since that seems to be the phase of girlhood she's going through at the moment. Fantastical creatures, magic, romance, blah blah blah (^_^) My issue is trying to come up with other characters to link up with the Eldress. Also working my daughter in as one of the main characters herself. So now I'm stuck trying to figure it all out.

Here's where you beautiful creators come into play. What do YOU do to counteract A.B? Any tips you wanna share with me and the other readers? I'd/We'd really appreciate it. Let's throw some ideas around. Show me what you got!


Keep Creating,
Karii J.

4 comments:

  1. If there was anything to be changed in this. I would like to see the body centered in the square, and the cleavage line to extend just out of the box. Also, I might have used a Gouache or a white conte pencil to add a highlights in the lips. Also to give the antlers more depth and interest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey +Joshua Toritto. Thanks for the feedback on the drawing. Really appreciate it. And I can see how that would help to enhance the drawing. So again, deeply appreciated. However; I was asking what are your tips for counteracting artist block?

      Delete
  2. Oh... My bad. Meditation, reading, old movies, cigars and fishing. If none of that works. Maybe you should go do something you don't normally do. For instance, if you work in a studio all day. Go and do some work outside or in someone Else's studio. Get out of your comfort zone a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips Joshua. I never thought about going to someone else's studio to work. But I can easily see how that would inspire some creative thinking. I'll usually binge watch a bunch of anime or old school cartoons until something comes to me. I'm also a big fan of drawing outdoors. Weather permitting of course.

      Delete