Wednesday, September 18, 2013

The Importance of Networking

One thing that I've learned on this artistic journey of mine, is that professionalism is everything and networking is a MUST. It really is true what people say. Sometimes it's not WHAT you know, but WHO you know.

(Check out this great video on the importance of networking)


Now speaking from personal experience, this is how things went in MY situation. Now granted that I have been drawing and into art since the age of four, I always did it for self enjoyment. I never thought of trying to make a career out of what I did until later on in life. As stated before, I was only doing my artwork for self enjoyment. I knew that going to school would give me a degree, hence making me appear more professional with my art; but I never thought of making it a full time career.
Only recently after interning at a local radio station, did I get the courage to step out and make this my CAREER. The owner of the radio station that I was interning for, came into the office to get his messages and just happened to see my sketchbook and what I was capable of, and the rest goes from there. Through him, I met people who sponsored local art festivals and events of the like who caught wind of me and my talents. Through them, I met even more people in the art community, I got TV interviews, and people started recognizing me when I would be out in public.
After that, I started getting the courage to step out during First Fridays. Completely opened my eyes up to such an exciting and amazing artistic world that I had NO idea even existed. And it was right under my nose the whole time. Going to galleries and meeting artists and gallery managers and networking just gave me that extra boost of confidence. Some good words of advice... NO ONE WILL PROMOTE YOU AND YOUR WORK BETTER THAN YOU CAN!
After meeting with some very humble and awesome people downtown in the art community, I am proud to say that I am now a member of a GREAT artistic family. I am doing more local events where I'm getting out and being active in the community. People are starting to recognize me as well as my work and it's a great feeling. All because I took that leap of faith and put myself out there.

If there's nothing else that you take away from this blog, please just understand this:
Knowing the right people, being in the right places at the right times will help you build a strong foundation. Think of how many people will want to do business with you, if you come highly recommended by respected people in your field. No one will go as hard for you as you will go for yourself. Part of starting a solo art career, requires you to sell not only your artwork, but also yourself. Remember, you are a BRAND. You are a packaged deal. Let your talent speak for itself. Just remember that on the business end of things, NETWORKING WILL TAKE YOU FAR!

Until next time...
Keep Creating,
<3 Karii J.

No comments:

Post a Comment